- Name of firm/company: Machins Solicitors
- Location: Luton or Berkhamsted
- Job Vacancy: Training Contract Vacancies (2014, 2015 & 2016 Starts)
- Job Type: Permanent
- Minimum Requirements: Strong academic ability (degree of 2.1 or above, not necessarily in law). If you do not have a 2:1 degree but still think we should consider you, please tell us why in your covering letter
- Salary: Not Specified
- How to Apply: Please send your current C.V. together with a covering letter to email@example.com
- Application Deadline: 31 December 2013 (commencing in July 2014), 28 March 2014 (commencing in July 2015), 31 July 2014 (commencing in July 2016)
NUMBER OF TRAINING CONTRACTS: We offer a maximum of 3 each year
Our selection procedure
Applications for our July 2014 intake will close on 31 December 2013 with the first round of interviews taking place at the end of January. We will contact successful applicants within 3 weeks to invite them to our assessment day in February 2014.
Should you be successful, your training contract will commence in July 2014 and will usually consist of four six monthly seats in both contentious and non contentious areas of law giving the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of seats.
What are Machins looking for?
We are looking for strong all round, commercially minded individuals. We recruit on the basis of potential. Our key indicators are:
- Strong academic ability (degree of 2.1 or above, not necessarily in law). If you do not have a 2:1 degree but still think we should consider you, please tell us why in your covering letter.
- Clear written and oral communication
- Personal skills
- Ability to assimilate information, analyse it, translate that understanding and follow a third party’s instructions
- Computer Literate
- Preferably have some knowledge of the local area
- Experience within a solicitors’ practice (beneficial but not compulsory)
- Self-motivated individuals looking to develop a career beyond qualification
- Experience of working with others to achieve a task
- GDL and/or LPC completed by intake date
Our training seats
This may vary from time to time, depending on the needs of each team. Seats that we currently offer are:
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Conveyancing
- Company Commercial
- Private Client
- Residential Conveyancing
Seats may be in either our Luton office or Berkhamsted office and applicants would be expected to have means of transport to either.
What training and support will I get?
You will work directly with a partner who will be your Training Supervisor. At the outset of each seat you will be given objectives and it will be discussed what you can expect to cover during your time in each department. You will normally attend the compulsory Professional Skills Course (PSC) modules during your first two seats. At the beginning of your second year you will be given advice on which PSC module options will complement your training.
You will be expected to attend internal webinars run on a regular basis covering all the areas of law Machins offer. Trainees are encouraged to attend marketing events and are encouraged to build relationships with clients from the outset.
We pride ourselves on employing staff who are approachable and if you have any questions, you won’t be short of people to ask.
Our retention rate is high. You will see from our Team Profiles that many of our partners trained with Machins! .We invest heavily in our trainees and provide the highest standard of training so that you will have the best possible career prospects and once qualified, you will choose to stay with us.
Unfortunately no grants are currently offered.
How can I apply?
Please send your current C.V. together with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . The deadline for our July 2014 intake is 31 December 2013. PLEASE QUOTE Ref: TSS2013
Unlike many other firms if you take the time to submit an application, we will take the time to read it.
I have not yet finished my degree: When can I apply?
Training contract commencing in July 2015
Applications will open on 1 January 2014 and close on 28 March 2014. Interviews will take place at the end of April 2014.
Training contract commencing in July 2016
Applications will open on 1 May 2014 and close on 31 July 2014.