Here are some quick vacation scheme application tips around some the areas that will make the most impact with the recruiters.
Build Your Vacation Scheme Applications on a Foundation of Research
As with most things connected to the pursuit of a legal career, time spent at the researching stage will stand you in good stead down the line.
Ensure that you research the different law firms that offer formal vacation schemes and make sure you only apply to those that are a good fit for your background and personality and the type of law you might want to train in. Also consider which are the firms that will have the most positive influence on your career and can offer you the broadest experience.
A good way to pre-select which firms you might want to apply to for vacation schemes is to attend law fairs and firm open days. These allow you to talk to representatives from the firms in order to get a flavour of what they are all about.
Focus on Fewer Quality Vac Scheme Applications
As with training contracts, competition for vacation scheme places is high with some firms getting as many as 2000 applications for around 200 places. It is therefore essential that you spend time on your applications so that those you submit are of a high quality. Remember its much better to go for quality than quantity.
Vacation Scheme Application Essentials
Similar considerations to training contract applications will be applied by firms:
- Good academics (often a minimum of a 2:1 degree or degree marks so far)
- Positions of responsibility held
- Evidence you have thought out your preferred career direction and know your motivations for a career in law
- Possession of a genuine interest in the specific firm and their vacation scheme
- Connections with, and a commitment to, the local area (particularly if a regional firm)
- Your applications should seek to set you apart from the competition by specifically letting the firm know how your experience to date, coupled with your skills, can benefit them.
- Ensure they are absolutely error-free – re-read them several times and get someone else to proofread them before you submit them.
Learn How to Master the Watson Glaser Test
The Watson Glaser Test is a critical piece of the training contract puzzle.
Each year, more law firms use the Watson Glaser Test to filter our candidates from their recruitment processes.
It's simple, if you don't know how to pass it you won't get a job offer from them.
We teach you the nuts and bolts of this test and how best to practice it to get to the required pass level.